South Somerset Community Accessible Transport
Balsam Centre, Balsam Park, Wincanton BA9 9HB
Tel: Office: 01963-34594 Bookings: 01963-33864
This scheme was set up with funding from a government initiative and is supported by Somerset County Council and South Somerset District Council. The service operates in South Somerset predominantly serving villages and hamlets around Bruton, Castle Cary, and Wincanton, but requests for transport out-of-area will always be considered and fitted in if possible.
Over the last year we have seen a tremendous increase In business with many satisfied customers using the service and appreciating the advantages of easily accessible door-todoor transport. We have also helped local voluntary organisations transport people to the Balsam Centre, and hired out the bus to local groups for days out. We transport people of all ages who live in rural villages with limited or no public transport, or who live on a bus route but are unable to use the service due'to mobility difficulties.
We also operate a Social Car scheme for which volunteer drivers use their own cars to take people to hospital appointments and other essential journeys outside of our normal operating area. The drivers are paid a mileage alowance, currently 40p a mile, to cover their costs but give their time freely.
We offer :-
- Door-to-door service and drivers who will help load shopping/trol1eys/buggies
- Easy access to minibus using steps level with kerb
- To take you on a shopping trip, leave you to enjoy a drink and a snack in one of the many local cafes, and collect you later
- To collect you and take you to Castle Cary, Bruton or Wincanton for shopping
- Trips or to meet friends
- To take you to the doctor, dentist or hairdresser·
- To take you to visit a friend in another village
- To take unaccompanied teenagers to holiday activity schemes or Wincanton
- Leisure Centre during school holidays
- To take mothers and young children to playgroups/holiday schemes
- To transport you to Community Education classes in Wincanton or Ansford
- The possibility of group hire of the minibus for day trips, with or without driver
- To take you to local railway stations/bus stops to catch trains or buses
Bookings can be made at least 24 hours before the day of travel by telephoning 01963-33864 between 9.30am and 12.30pm: regular bookings should be made well in advance. Fares are very good value for money: users must join the scheme's travel club by paying a membership fee of £2.
For more information and an application form phone 01963-33864 or feel free to e-mail us.